History of Sandwich

3Feb 2017

Historical Commission: A Champion For Sandwich’s Past – Editorial

The Enterprise - Sandwich Feb. 3, 2017 Being the oldest town on Cape Cod, first chartered by the state way back in 1639—136 years before the first shots were fired in the American Revolution—there’s no wonder that Sandwich has two municipal committees with the word “history” in their titles. [...]

27Jul 2016

Wing School Update

    By Paul Gately July 07. 2016 12:58PM Sandwich Historical Commission reiterates historic merit of '1927 Wing' The Sandwich Historical Commission takes issue with sentiment expressed by some selectmen that the 1927 section of the Henry T. Wing School might not be worth preserving and instead probably should be [...]

13Jun 2016

Ten Men of Saugus Plaque Back in Town Hall

(photo credit: Kathy Coggeshall) A sign that used to hang in Town Hall is back. After being in storage for an unknown number of years the plaque commemorating the founders of Sandwich, the "Ten Men of Saugus," is now back up in Town Hall. It graces the second floor [...]

6May 2016

A Name for the Park at 135 Main Street

by Cindy Russell 135 Main Street has been privately owned from 1639 until 1963 when Town Meeting voted “to purchase a certain parcel of land located at Main Street, at Town Hall Square, owned by Manuel and Leona R. Jacinto for $14,000. Bill Daley and Don Bayley, members of the [...]

Go to Top