Historic Preservation

8Mar 2012

Sand Hill School: The Clark-Haddad Memorial Building

In 1851 a new 2 bay by 3 bay, 2-story, wood-frame building with a gable roof was erected at the corner of Factory Street and George’s Rock Road (16 Dewey Avenue). Known as the Jarvesville School, and later, the Sand Hill School, the building was replaced in 1885 with the [...]

1Mar 2012

Historic Preservation in Sandwich MA

March 1, 2012 - The question of Historic Preservation Restrictions has become a story in Sandwich. Selectmen, regulators and residents have been asking what that means, how it happens and who makes it happen. There are two pdf documents that will answer many of your questions. Please read them and [...]

7Feb 2012

A View From The Chair – February 2012

Moving into mid-winter, with several feet of snow on the ground and only the heartiest of travelers on the roads, being pulled along in open sleighs while wrapped in thick woolen blankets. The only sounds are the soft clop of horse hooves in the snow and church bells in the [...]

21Jan 2012

Sand Hill School Clark-Haddad Building Will Not Be Moved!

The Sandwich Board of Selectmen, on January 19, 2012, voted 4-0, with one abstention, to leave the Clark-Haddad building in place. A proposal by the Sandwich Chamber of Commerce to move the Clark-Haddad building and turn it into a visitors center was turned down. Before the vote, Ellen Carlson, a [...]

16Jan 2012

Historical Commission Recommends Restoration of Historic Artesian Well

January 16, 2012 - Jonathan Shaw, the SHC's representative to the Sandwich Community Preservation Committee, spearheaded the effort to proceed with funding for Phase II of the Town Hall Restoration Project. Guided by his experienced hand, the Commission sent a formal request to the Community Preservation Committee to secure $350,000.00 [...]

Go to Top