A Name for the Park at 135 Main Street
by Cindy Russell 135 Main Street has been privately owned from 1639 until 1963 when Town Meeting voted “to purchase a certain parcel of land located at Main Street, at Town Hall Square, owned by Manuel and Leona R. Jacinto for $14,000. Bill Daley and Don Bayley, members of the [...]
New Civil War Memorial Wall Plaque Now in Town Hall
Bill Daley inspecting the new Civil War plaque. The Historical Commission extends its highest praise and appreciation to Bill for spearheading this important project. The Civil War Memorial Wall Plaque has been delivered and it now hangs on the wall of the first staircase case landing at Town [...]
The 10 Men of Saugus
"The year 1637 marks the era of the first English settlement on the Cape. The settlement at Sandwich was projected by Mr. Edmund Freeman and others who, April 3 of this year, obtained a grant from the Colony of Plymouth and at once with a large number of families from [...]
Twinning with Sandwich, England
Photo courtesy: Taylor White “Our towns share more than their name, not least local and national distinction as historic communities. I hope that we can grow closer in mutual understanding and appreciation of each town’s heritage and community life.” --The Mayor of Sandwich, Kent, UK Cllr Paul Graeme [...]
Sandwich & The Civil War
By William F. Daley The Sandwich Guards – 29th Regiment, Company D On April 12, 1861, the American Civil War began with the Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. The shelling rapidly escalated into a series of actions including President Lincoln’s call for 75,000 troops to put [...]
Categories
- Archaeology (3)
- Articles (49)
- Celebrations (8)
- Cemeteries (8)
- Civil War (4)
- Current Events (12)
- EVENTS (1)
- Genealogy (3)
- Glass Factory (3)
- Historic Preservation (27)
- History of Sandwich (76)
- House Histories (2)
- Landmarks (10)
- Maps (1)
- Mashpee Indians (1)
- News (24)
- Preservation News (15)
- Sandwich UK (1)
- Thornton Burgess (1)
- Town Hall (1)


