Articles
There are all kinds of interesting stories about Sandwich’s history. You can browse the Sandwich Historical Commission articles below.
Of Seals and Sandwiches
Town of Sandwich Seal in wood and rope (Don Bayley photo) The Name "Sandwich" Sandwich, Massachusetts is named for the seaport of Sandwich, Kent, England. The name "Sandwich" comes from Old English (O.E.) Sandwic, and literally means “sand village,” “sandy place,” or “place on the sand.” The [...]
Parson’s Walk
Did you know there is a town-owned pathway from the Library parking lot through the woods all the way to School Street? It is called "Parson's Walk" or "Parson's Way." The MACRIS Form on file with the Massachusetts Historical Commission states: "The Parson’s Walk is named for a pathway from [...]
Dodge Macknight
Dodge Macknight by John Peter Russell -- Macknight married the governess of Russell’s children, Louise Queyrel. This portrait (ca. 1888) was bequeathed by Macknight to his sister-in-law, Elise Queyrel. (public domain photo) Dodge Macknight (1860-1950) was regarded by many of his contemporaries as America's first modernist. His [...]
The Boyden Block
A Bit About W. E. Boyden William Ellis Boyden was born in 1807. He ran the Plymouth/Sandwich Stage coach operation starting in 1822. After the Cape Cod Branch Railroad came to town in 1848, he formed the Cape Cod Express Company for handling, packing, picking [...]
Researching Your House History
There are hundreds of historic houses in Sandwich. The Sandwich Historical Commission works with the Massachusetts Historical Commission to document information about historic properties, districts, and landmarks which is subsequently made available to the public via a database called the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System, better known by its acronym [...]
Cedarville
The Only Way to Get to to Barnstable by Don Bayley Today's Old County Road in East Sandwich follows the original route of the Old King's Highway which followed native American trails meandering along the southern edge of Scorton Marsh. Until about 1847, there wasn't a road where Route 6A [...]
Bird’s Eye View – The 1884 Poole Map
1884 Bird's Eye View by Poole (Click for Larger View) 4 - Sandwich Card & Tag Co. 5 - G. Howland's Lumber Yard 6 - Town Hall 7 - Sandwich Casino 8 - High School 10 - Sandwich Academy 14 - Novelty Block 15 - Central House 16 [...]
Town Hall Through the Years
(Compiled by Don Bayley) From "Historical Collections" by John Warner Barber, Worcester, 1839, p.53. In this John Warner Barber drawing from 1839, Town Hall, built in 1834, is prominently displayed. From Sandwich historian Russell Lovell: "This is the only view found showing the early Calvinistic chapel on the [...]
Aunt Sally and the Locust Grove Asylum
Skunks and racoons on the kitchen table? The House at 238 Route 6A in 2012 (photo by Don Bayley) The house at 238 Route 6A, The Old King's Highway, is falling down. It's open to the weather and the rain just pours in. In a year or so, [...]
The Sand Hill School
Deming Jarves The area around the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company in Sandwich became known as Jarvesville, named after the factory’s founder, Deming Jarves. As the number of glass factory workers grew, the company built housing for them as well as a company store and a school. In [...]
Categories
- Archaeology (3)
- Articles (49)
- Celebrations (8)
- Cemeteries (8)
- Civil War (4)
- Current Events (12)
- EVENTS (1)
- Genealogy (3)
- Glass Factory (3)
- Historic Preservation (27)
- History of Sandwich (76)
- House Histories (2)
- Landmarks (10)
- Maps (1)
- Mashpee Indians (1)
- News (24)
- Preservation News (15)
- Sandwich UK (1)
- Thornton Burgess (1)
- Town Hall (1)


