Built in 1833-4, the first floor was originally rented out as commercial retail space, just as Boston’s Fanuel Hall is today. Eventually, as fortunes changed in the town, the first floor was taken over by town administrative offices and the second floor ball room was relegated to use as attic storage. The entire building was restored to its former glory in 2009 through the urging of many town citizens and the Historical Commission. The project was selected for a Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award for 2011. The work would not have been feasible without Community Preservation Act funds.
The second floor ballroom is particularly beautiful with its historically accurate stenciling of tan and brown paint and gold leaf, theatrical stage, balcony seating and fully restored historic shuttered windows. The entire building is open to the public with the first floor occupied by town administrative offices. Groups and individuals are invited to rent the town hall for non-political events. Amenities include a professional sound system, refreshment galley and new accessible restrooms and elevator. Contact the Town Manager’s office for details.
Phone: (508) 888-5144 Email: townhall@townofsandwich.net





